A house is not a home without a dog. If we only knew how much our pets really think of us, I believe we’d all be surprised. We’re heroes in their eyes. We feed them, care for them and give them unconditional love, or at least that’s what my dog gets. She thinks she’s the queen of the house and pretty much, she is!
I see so many ads to adopt unwanted and homeless pets. Don’t people know that a pet is a commitment? It makes me wonder if they’d give up their child if they have an accident on the floor or knock over a bowl of food or water. When you get a pet, it should be for life! They depend on us to care for them and love them, just like a child does, so in my opinion, it shouldn’t be any different.
Sometimes there may be circumstances beyond our control, such as having to move to an apartment or home that doesn’t allow pets; however, if my dog don’t go, I don’t either. So again, that’s no excuse but people seem to come up with excuses every day; ‘he barks all the time’, ‘he whines’, ‘he wants attention’, ‘I don’t have time for a pet’, then why did you get one in the first place? They buy or adopt a pet, then suddenly decide they don’t want the responsibility and take them to the pound or sit them out on the side of the road to survive on their own, so sad! Did you know that Old Yeller was bought from a shelter for $3 .00? His real name was Spike. The world famous Disney’s “Shaggy Dog” was also bought from a pound for $2.00.
A dog is one friend that will always be loyal and true. As it was once said, “”The more people I meet, the more I like my dog.”
Some interesting quotes to ponder:
- “The one absolutely unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world, the one that never deserts him, the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous, is his dog.” – George Graham
- “Dogs have given us their absolute all. We are the center of their universe, we are the focus of their love and faith and trust. They serve us in return for scraps. It is without a doubt the best deal man has ever made.” – Roger Caras
- “The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too.” – Samuel Butler
- “No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as much as the dog does.” – Christopher Morley
- “A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.” – Josh Billings
- “The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.” – Andrew A.
- “If your dog doesn’t like someone you probably shouldn’t either.” – Unknown
- “I once decided not to date a guy because he wasn’t excited to meet my dog. I mean, this was like not wanting to meet my mother.” – Bonnie Schacter
- “No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich.” – Louis Sabin
- “Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.” – Roger Caras
- “Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends.” – Alexander Pope
- “The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue” – Anonymous
- “A dog teaches a boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.” – Roger Caras
- “There’s just something about dogs that makes you feel good. You come home, they’re thrilled to see you. They’re good for the ego.” – Janet Schnellman
- “A dog can express more with his tail in minutes than his owner can express with his tongue in hours.” – Anonymous
- “Dogs laugh, but they laugh with their tails.” – Max Eastman
- “I can train any dog in 5 minutes. It’s training the owner that takes longer.” – Barbara Woodhouse
- “No animal I know of can consistently be more of a friend and companion than a dog.” – Stanley Leinwoll
- “When most of us talk to our dogs, we tend to forget they’re not people.” – Julia Glass
- “There is no faith which has never yet been broken except that of a truly faithful dog.” – Konrad Lorenz
- “A dog is the only thing that can fill the void in your empty heart” – Kate
- “The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is in fact the most precious and valuable possession of mankind” – Theodorus Gaza
- “A dog is the only thing that can mend a crack in your broken heart” – Judy Desmond
And last but certainly not least, “He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.” – Unknown