Amazing how simple it is, how little effort it really takes and you’ll be totally amazed at the difference!
All it takes to declutter is various sizes of storage containers, any type. There’s baskets, boxes, plastic storage bins in all sizes. I’m a storage container freak!! Personally, I love the Thirty One storage containers, first, because I’m a consultant for the company (haha, but that’s why I became a consultant, I was addicted to their products!), because they’re so durable and available in so many colors and patterns, so it’s easy to mix or match and last but not least, you can personalize the container so you’ll always be able to find what you’re searching for. I also use a lot of baskets which gives a nice, neat look and still adds to the decor.
One thing I can’t stand is not being able to find something when I need or want it. My home is full of Thirty One storage containers and baskets. I guess I should be careful or I’m going to be cluttered with organizers. At least it’ll be ‘neat’ and ‘attractive’ clutter. haha
Simple, easy steps to declutter:
- Take it one room at a time. Separate all the items in the room into four piles, ‘ keep’, ‘donate’, ‘sell’ and ‘trash’.
- Remember the ‘rule of thumb;’ if you haven’t used it in a year, chances are you never will so send it out the door. And believe me, I know that’s hard sometimes because I’m one of these people that don’t like to get rid of anything that I may ‘eventually’ use, so close your eyes and toss it in the correct pile and don’t look back.
- If it has sentimental value but is broken, cracked, torn, etc., toss it and make room for new memories.
- Give the ‘donate’ pile to a family in need, a local Church, Goodwill or Salvation Army.
- List the items in your ‘sell’ pile on Ebay, Craigslist or hold a garage sale for extra cash. The extra cash will help to buy storage containers for the items you keep.
Add some personalized Thirty One storage containers and you’ll be able to find everything you need.